Computer Science Engineer
Position Title: Computer Science Engineer
Client: Federal Aviation Administration
Location: Washington, DC
Salary Range: $110,000.00 – $130,000.00
North Star Group, LLC is seeking a highly motivated, energetic, and results-oriented Computer Science Engineer to support our Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) customer located in Washington, DC. The successful candidate will ideally possess prior knowledge of the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Telecommunications Infrastructure (FTI) contract, as well as a qualified engineer with an Enterprise Messaging Network background.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Specific responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
- Serve as the primary technical POC/engineer assigned to multiple programs, provide Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) advice and technical assistance to FAA System Wide Information Management (SWIM) on-boarding efforts – coordinating daily with producers and consumers to ensure their requirements are addressed
- Provide input to requirements, architecture, and design of SWIM services
- Review and develop briefings, requirements documents, interface description documents, technical briefings, and other documentation as required
- Interface with programs transitioning to SWIM services to understand their requirements and update the SWIM on-ramping documents
- Collect/document programmatic information such as significant acquisition/implementation milestones, service need date for the SOA services, project interdependencies, schedule constraints, etc. for the SOA project.
- Contribute to white papers, briefings, status reports, and other communication packages for FAA executives as required
- Conduct technical interchange meetings and facilitate the sharing of technical knowledge.
- Facilitating TIMs to review and discuss systems engineering products, progress, schedules, open action items and issues.
- Provide support for estimating costs associated with development of SWIM compliant services
- Perform analysis of requirements and calculations of costs associated with the SWIM services
- Identify, characterize, assess, and document the customer’s SOA services requirements (e.g. on-ramping services, date rate, latency, availability, interface type, protocols, connectivity end points, diversity, security services, network services, etc.) Validate SOA services requirements with the customer.
- Prepare and submit FTI SWIM orders using the Enterprise tools.
- Prepare Cost Estimates and Rough Order of Magnitude estimates for the engineering team and make updates as required.
- Perform trade-offs of candidate solutions, engineer and allocate the SOA requirements to an approved FAA SOA solution.
- Trade-off candidate SOA solutions engineer and allocate to an approved FAA SOA solution.
- Develop and maintain SWIM projects schedules, as necessary.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
- A minimum of sixteen (16) years of relevant experience is required for this position.
- Prior System Wide Information Management (SWIM) experience is required.
- Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) knowledge
- Demonstrated experience and understanding of the FAA’s proprietary software, SOLAS
- Must possess a technical background, either as a systems engineer supporting SOA efforts, a software developer/engineer familiar with SOA concepts and technologies (web services, JMS, WSDL, SOAP, REST, XML, Service Registries, etc.)
- Experience as a project or program lead responsible for the day-to-day coordination and oversight of multiple concurrent projects including oversight of requirements, schedule, cost, and ongoing work.
- Strong communication capabilities, both verbal and written, for communication with clients, user communities, other organizations within and outside the FAA
- Strong analytical skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, or a relevant major from an accredited college or university is required.
- Additional years of work experience beyond the minimum amount of work experience specified above in the Qualifications and Experience Requirements paragraph may be used in lieu of a college degree.
- Experience with requirements definition
- Experience developing UML artifacts using Visio or other tools
- Experience with supporting systems in the FAA NAS
- Experience with FAA KSN (SharePoint), FAA NAS Service Registry/Repository
- Experience with SWIM on-ramping support
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Integration of COTS and developed software
- Experience with Solace, WebLogic, and/or Active MQ
SECURITY CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS
- Ability to obtain a Public Trust clearance from the United States Federal government is required.
The majority of duties will be performed in an office setting; the employee may be required to attend off site meetings and other directly related functions. Duties are normally performed within the scope of the normal work day, occasionally based on workload and the demands of the position it may become necessary to work longer than an 8-hour day.
DISCLAIMER: THE ABOVE STATEMENTS ARE INTENDED TO DESCRIBE THE GENERAL NATURE AND LEVEL OF WORK BEING PERFORMED BY EMPLOYEES ASSIGNED TO THIS CLASSIFICATION. THEY ARE NOT TO BE CONSTRUED AS A COMPLETE LIST OF ALL RESPONSIBILITIES, DUTIES AND SKILLS REQUIRED OF PERSONNEL SO CLASSIFIED. ALL PERSONNEL MAY BE REQUIRED TO PERFORM DUTIES OUTSIDE OF THEIR NORMAL RESPONSIBILITIES FROM TIME TO TIME, AS NEEDED.